Thursday, June 21, 2007

Brief History

Here is a brief history of who I am, which will help make the lessons in Minnesota geography and sociology more flavorful.

In late August 1980, my parents allowed me the pleasure of tasting oxygen for the first time. I could not get enough of the stuff. Simultaneously, the higher-powers-that-be declared that I was a tiny individual who would be granted admission to life outside my mother's womb. However, no one informed me the passport stamp associated with the world of earth would ultimately consist of a birthmark. Even had I received proper notice of this, my brain would not have understood such a concept.

After birth, I was relocated to the town of Lakeland, Florida. My parents fed, bathed and clothed me. They even provided me with a bed. Two years later, my parents had the idea that because I was some type of success, in the sense I had not perished under their watch, that a duplicate should be created. My parents must have put more thought into the design of the second child because he came out with the qualities of a cat: smart, occasional attitude, athletic, and always lands on his feet regardless of the situation. The early part of 1982 brought a brother into my life.

Florida had exciting opportunities for two extremely young bachelors. Life revolved around soccer, baseball and school. Occasionally we would be burdened with trips to the doctors or dentists. The nice part of being younger is that you have no idea how busy life can get. Your calendar is handle by a joint scheduling committee- your parents. In so far as we knew, the only thing we had going on in a year was our birthday. Everything else was coordinated by our joint scheduling committee.

The other exciting event was an annual migration from Florida to Minnesota to escape the summer heat and humidity. Sometime in May of each year, my mother would corral my brother and me into our Astro Van to make the trek northward. We would spend about two months at our lake cabin north of Fergus Falls, Minnesota. However, our last summer trip to Minnesota in 1989 was accompanied by unexpected news- management made the decision to proceed with personnel expansion. Apparently consultation about this decision was not extended to the junior members of the family unit. Our sister would be coming to join our operation in December 1989.

The news following the arrival of my sister was nothing short of jaw dropping. My brother and I were informed we would be trading our bermuda shorts for snowsuits. In the summer of 1990, my father received a transfer through his company which would bring us in Minnesota. He was faced with the decision of whether to place his family in St. Cloud or Mankato. Eventually St. Cloud carried the votes because it was in between the Twin Cities and all grandparents. In hindsight, it was a terrific decision, although I remember having severe doubts about this policy decision initially.

Nine years would pass, and I would complete high school. During the course of a public education, I would learn about fascinating things, play several sports, earn my Eagle Scout, produce sweet sounds from a cello and piano, and discover the wonderful, yet complicated intricacies of something called "girls." Towards the end of high school I announced plans of post-secondary education in Duluth. I had no intentions of going elsewhere. The first time I saw the city of Duluth backed by the sparkling blue waters of Lake Superior coming over the hill side on Interstate 35 I was hooked. It also had a huge scene for youth hockey officials- something I have enjoyed immensely over time.

Three and one half years would pass before I would be conferred the degree of bachelor of arts in political science. I cannot recall much of the classroom portions at college. Sure, I remember favorite classes and various professors, but life at college takes part outside of the classroom. Time is spent with great friends, playing soccer and hockey, reffing hockey, and exploring the opposite sex and alcohol. My summers were always spent by moving to St Cloud temporarily so that I could work at a home improvement store that had a lumberyard attached to it.

Oddly enough, it was my experience at my work in St. Cloud that was the most rewarding. Prior to returning to Duluth for my Junior year of classes, I met a girl at work. Initially, she kept coming out to the lumber yard bringing countless returns in one by one fashion. It never made sense to me why this girl would park 20 carts of shingles inside the lumber yard entrance. Each cart had the capacity to easily hold at least 3-4 bundles of shingles. Finally I asked her about it, at which point it dawned on me she had some interest in me. We dated for a little over a month before I had to return to Duluth for school. I came to understand she was enrolled at college in St. Cloud. We made the decision to give the long distance relationship a try. I am glad we tried it- she ended up becoming my wife.

When school finished in Duluth, I moved home to my parents for a while to bide time before heading off to law school. The largest perk of moving home was being much closer to my significant other. But before long I reached the conclusion I needed to move out- life wasn't the same as it was in college. In May 2003, I packed my stuff up and headed to Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Upon arrival in Grand Forks, I found a basement apartment across the street from the law school. I decided to work at the home improvement store in Grand Forks to pass time until the start of law school. It was the same company that was located in St. Cloud. Two months later, my girlfriend would relocate herself to Grand Forks and join me at work. She worked in a separate department however. At the same time I would be attending law school, she was entering graduate school for her master's degree in speech pathology.

I survived the first year of law school. Entering the second year of law school I made a terrible decision in my life. I suffered a flash of stupidity and called time out on my relationship with my girlfriend. About two weeks later, I realized the mistake I had made. I repented and begged her to have me back. Thankfully she agreed, albeit hesitantly at first- which was understandable. Hours before the beginning of 2005, I proposed to her on the white sand of Clearwater Beach, Florida. Amazingly, she said yes.

The third year of law school was marked with an unbelievable speed of events. I was named to the Board of Editors for the Law Review, got married, worked part time at a local criminal defense firm, and played hockey. Somehow I found time for class. Graduation finally arrived and I was handed a diploma. At that point I realized professional student was no longer a career choice.

After several unsuccessful job interviews throughout Minnesota, I came across an advertisement for work in International Falls. As first I laughed at the thought of working in extreme northern Minnesota. But the more I thought about it, the more appealing it became. My wife urged me to put in an application. An interview was granted. The interview consisted of just talking with my future boss, followed by a tour of the town, delivery of lunch to his daughter, a tour of his house, and my first glimpse of Rainy Lake. My future boss brought my father and I out to lunch at Thunderbird Lodge. This place sits directly above the water, much like some houses down on the bayou in Louisiana. Looking around I couldn't help but be attracted to the northern lifestyle. At some point during the meal, my future boss asked if I would be interested in having him as my boss. It was the easiest yes of my life in terms of employment.

And that brings us to now. So.... read on!

No comments: