Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Experience of a Life Time

Last night I had the pleasure of being a part of the biggest show in town. I served as linesman for the boys varsity hockey game between the International Falls Broncos and the Fort Frances Muskies. The referees for the game were Bill Mason and Chad Shikowsky. The Broncos are one of the top ranked teams in Class A High School Hockey in the State of Minnesota. The only loss the Broncos have suffered this season was at the hands of the Muskies back on December 21, 2007.

I have never officiated in front of such a large crowd before. My estimate would be that over 1500 people showed up for the game. There was not a seat to be spared and the glass was lined with fans for boths sides. It was very difficult to communicate with others because of the noise level. But it was the neatest thing to experience. The crowd would react to every play on the ice. After the Broncos scored the first goal of the game, two frozen muskies were hurled onto the ice. This was the first time I have been required to assist with debris clean up other than hats.

The final score of the game was 7-1 in favor of the Broncos. However, I received a great feeling about a job well done with my officiating partners. The game was fast paced, hard hitting and emotional. It was a great reminder about why I became an official in the game of hockey.

No comments: